June 26, 2008
not the average fan reaction, i'm sure

let me tell you a little something about me.

i do not like people. a person i might like, perhaps a small group of persons. but en masse? as a horde? no thank you, i will have thirteen vodka sodas, season 2 of angel* and a taco instead please.

because i know this about myself, i don't often go to shows. i don't like them. they last just a bit too long and it gets warm at indoor shows and cold at outdoor ones and there are too many people and those people are often drunk and inconsiderate and they smoke the pots. go ahead, smoke your pot, i don't care, but here? in public? not all of us want to smell it. it gives some of us migraines, ok? so next time you're going to a show and you want to get all cheech and chongy please make/bring brownies or i will come after you and only walk away once i've got your eyes in my hand like baoding balls. because that's what my migraines are like, and it's impolite not to share.

anyways, tuesday night i went on a date (!) to the hollywood bowl to see black francis and stone temple pilots. this is how the conversation went when i was invited:
him: do you want to go see stone temple pilots with me?
me: ...
him: at the hollywood bowl? it will be fun and it's kind of a big deal to me.
me: ... ...
him: so?
me: i need to consult my rabbi.
since my rabbi really had no opinion, i frantically IMed my best friend and she sagely replied: "if you think you can go and either have fun, or at least not let on that you're not having fun, then you should go. if you're going to be miserable about it, let him go with someone else who won't ruin it for him."

SHE KNOWS ME SO WELL. i ruin things for people. professionally.

anyways, i looked deep into my heart and decided that since once upon a time i had enjoyed both stone temple pilots and concerts, i would give it a try. also, it didn't hurt that it was free. that's so shallow! i can't believe i said that! oh wait, yes i can. i am but an empty room.

so tuesday night. we took the shuttle to the bowl (which i totally recommend because it makes the whole ordeal much less stressful) and got there right on time to be tossed to and fro like cute little seahorses in a giant sea of douchebags with fake boobs and really really bad hair. our seats were really good (center, terrace box, second row) which helped with my slight people problem. except for the fact that the other person in our box was FERAL. like this is pretty much her:


image by chad savage

she sat down with so much ANGER i was scared she might eat me. she was angrily sitting most of the evening, except for when she was angrily texting, or angrily smoking, or angrily shouting for scott weiland to "shut up and shoot up." needless to say, i (sitting quietly in the box with a lap blanket) was appalled. i wanted to smack her face!

i didn't because i thought she might cut me, but also when did i become such a crotchety old lady?

the show was good- i had forgotten how many songs of theirs i really liked. scott weiland is so skinny and i'm pretty confident that he's also probably like 30% gay but i do not care. i would still go there. i would go there in a house, i would go there with a mouse. ok, no mice. unless he's into that? i guess i could be negotiable.

the best part of the show (for me) was the end- and not because it was over but because after walking along the edge and shaking hands with audience members and taking pictures etc etc, mr. weiland (scott? can i call him that? probably only after we do it.) scooped up his children and carried them sweetly offstage into the night.

it was a really beautiful sight, full of hope and love and all of the things any of us wish for. i was so proud of a man i don't even know for getting himself together and figuring it out- good things CAN happen if you make them, if you work. it was immensely poetic, and that image will stay with me a long time.

plus hot rock guy dad makes my ovaries go all asplodey.





*aside: i have to say that back when this show first aired i was very upset that they killed off doyle so early in the series, and rewatching it now I AM JUST AS UPSET. FUCK YOU, TV EXECUTIVES. WESLEY (pfft, wesley) IS NO DOYLE. NO.



26 Comments:

Blogger Melliferous Pants said...

I used to enjoy concerts but the older I get, the more I dislike being around people. Especially the people of the lame state I moved to. They anger me.

Hot rock guy dads are good though. I'm glad you had a manageable time.

Blogger B.E. Earl said...

Sadly, Doyle would have only lasted a few more seasons anyway. Glenn Quinn died of an overdose in 2002. Maybe he wouldn't have if he hadn't been written off Angel, I dunno.

Blogger Teddy Bear Giraffe said...

A brilliant, brilliant tale. Also?:
YOU + LAP BLANKET = 100% SMOOCHABLE

ps. This is Spinnerina, of course.

Blogger Melina said...

I loved Doyle too, and now knowing that Quinn died makes me even sadder :( On a happy note, I'm glad you had fun at the show! Ever find out what made the boxmate such a banshee???

Blogger Valancy Jane said...

You know how when you open the fridge and find leftover pizza and you realize that without really thinking about, pizza was exactly what you were hoping to find?

I feel that way when I see you've posted.

Blogger Übermilf said...

I was going to say something similar to B.E. Earl, but now it occurs to me... maybe they KILLED him by KILLING him... sending him into a spiral of despair...

Anyways, I don't like the hugeness myself. I like seeing music in a dinky bar surrounded by true lovers of music. Not angry, spiteful banshees who's bad energy spills over into your lap, like the one you talk about here.

Blogger Amber said...

lol @ jane.

or WITH jane, rather.

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

We are so much alike it frightens me. Especially that heart picture. It was like looking into a mirror, only I never saw myself before.

Wow, that was deep. I forgave Angel for Doyle's death when they brought Spike back. Cause a world without Spike is not a world I want to live in.

Blogger Colleen said...

Mmmmm...Angel.

Blogger Tits McGee said...

I smoked the pots in front of you.

::ashamed::

Blogger Quirkalot said...

I miss Doyle. I like your ICHC photo choice.

Blogger Spinning Girl said...

Can I borrow your lap blanket?

Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Yes, the death of Doyle was an outrage. Hot demon hybrid with a sexy accent--What's not to love? Wesley! That's what's not to love.
Oh, sure they appease us with the Spike, but Doyle was special.

PS...Hi!

Blogger yournamehere said...

I liked Stoned Tempo Autopilot better the first time, when they were called Pearl Jam.

Blogger FRITZ said...

I don't like crowds, either.

Sure, I try to be all riot grrl, but then Tits smokes the pots in front of me, and I have to get my inhaler out.

Wait a minute. I smoke cigarettes. I'm no better than the Tits.

Scott W. makes me sad in my roomy pants. I could put him in my pants along with me. Poor sad Scott.

Blogger Amber said...

WOMAN! Where are you?

?




?




?

Blogger Pretty Lush said...

You get a STP date and I get crap like stale pizza and crappy cover band. No fairs.
The things I would do Scott Weiland and many and vulgar. <3

Blogger khonmanrak said...
Blogger robiewankenobie said...

whur r ya? hrm?

Blogger khonmanrak said...
Blogger dogsdd said...
Blogger bedava chat said...

something you are really a great article söyleyimmi friends mynet I suggest you all had a nice example of this site shares Enter admin for the count I'm sure many would work too, but thank you very much chat ve sohbet If you help me I would be happy to get out searches such as the every time you come to places you want to wish you continued success bedava chat I would be glad my yazımıda me happy sharing site will also publish chat arkadaşlık siteleri sohbet I'm sure everything is reciprocal writing and more beautiful things I wish to share çet almanya chat comments by the writings of friends who share a beautiful almanya sohbet I hope to see you again that I take care of yourself respects everyones greetings from Turkey

Blogger redhy said...
Blogger khonmanrak said...
Blogger youlacka said...

That is really very good article.Thanks! kizlarla chatcetseviyeli sohbetchat odalarisohbet odalarisohbet odalariask sozlerisevgi sozlerichatsohbet siteleriçetchat siteleri

Not sure if we're on the same page if you saw what I saw… Greetings, earthling. Because I was an actual NDE on the outskirts of the Great Beyond at 15 yet wasn’t allowed in, lemme share with you what I actually know Seventh-Heaven’s Big-Bang’s gonna be like for us if ya believe: meet this ultra-bombastic, ex-mortal-Upstairs for the most extra-blatant-and-groovy, pleasure-beyond-measure, Ultra-Yummy-Reality-Addiction in the Great Beyond for a BIG-ol, kick-ass, party-hardy, robust-N-risqué, eternal-warp-drive you DO NOT wanna miss the sink-your-teeth-in-the-rrrock’nNsmmmokin’-hot-deal. YES! For God, anything and everything and more! is possible!! Meet me Upstairs. Cya soon...

Post a Comment

<< Home

golden state