October 03, 2006
i'm old, not dead

i'm sorry i haven't checked in. there will be a post about the birthday festivities, as promised, but things have been a little off at my palatial estate.

over the last few days julius boon seemed a little groggy and uninterested in his food. i thought maybe this was a delayed response to leonard nimoy, or a boycott of the cat dishes' relocation to the totally inconvenient countertop (pickles has taken to binging on catfood). on saturday evening julius crawled into my lap (this never happens.) and stayed there for THREE WHOLE HOURS. he might as well have erected a giant sign in the living room. all was not well.

he spent most of sunday in my lap, like an eleven-pound ball of hot hot fire and cat boogers. i for sure have pms because i was convinced he would die and i spent most of the day fighting the chinese chestnut in my throat. on the bright side, leonard nimoy also cuddled in my lap, and it was a pigpile of kitty lovin. apart from the possible death in progress, i rather enjoyed it.


please ignore the girl behind the kitties.


leonard nimoy had also been sneezing a bit, but it didn't seem all that important, especially in comparison to the awesome diarrhea he's been rocking since his arrival. he's been on meds, but they don't seem to be doing anything. in fact, when i looked them up on the wise and all powerful internets, one of the side effects listed for the anti-diarrheal is diarrhea.

huh.

monday morning i awoke to a wheezy cathead and a very sweaty leg next to where he had been sleeping. i tucked my sweet yammie* back into bed and took pickles for his walk. while on the phone with the cat vet, i noticed pickles' armpit looked like someone used a cheese grater on it. as i looked closer, i realized he is once again covered in spots. (for those of you unfamiliar with the pickles legacy, let's just say it's a long one.) (beginning here and occuring most recently here.)

so i called his vet too.

the dog vet couldn't fit us in, but since this is a pretty common occurence in our home, she wrote an emergency prescription (or as she called it, "the usual") and scheduled something for later in the week. in the meantime, i gave him a bath (medicated shampoo makes my hands tingle!) and vacuumed/washed all the rugs and bedding. it was really fun. like dentist and gynocologist in the same day kind of fun.

but it didn't stop there! i also got to pile the cats into the car and drive them (and their tiny (but constant) meows of utter and complete pain, terror, and resignation to the futility of it all) all the way to the vet, where we discovered julius had a fever of 104.3 degrees. HE WAS BOILING! i mean, normal for a cat is 100ish, which is also boiling i guess, but my yammie! he was like a cat full of burning lava! nimoy has no bugs, so his poo problem is a mystery. mystery poo is better than worm poo i guess. as long as it's in the box, it's not really an issue. (thank god for clumping litter. seriously.) he got some more medicine, as maybe that will help, and also just in case he is a carrier of the evil booger virus that struck down my julius, who got a shot, and some pills, and is already feeling much better. better enough to eat some food (i had to go buy the other kind, because that cat? he won't eat the same one leonard nimoy eats. he is special. and you shouldn't forget that), but still sick enough to sit in my lap again. hooray! i mean, get well soon!



*julius+ tuber themed nickname (all my pets receive one) = orange potato = yam



25 Comments:

Anonymous Annika said...

The gynecologist AND the dentist? Lucky you!

Blogger Brookelina said...

Reading your blog makes me tingle!

Blogger yournamehere said...

Whenever you post about your cats it tempts me to make a pussy reference. See, I just did it right there. Damn my weakness. Damn it to hell.

Blogger Tits McGee said...

Poor babies! Poor you!

I'll send happy, healthy pussy thoughts your way.

Shut up, Todd.

Blogger jiggs said...

perhaps you can use this as an opportunity to make your kitties chubby!

Blogger Sachi said...

Poor kitty baby.... That makes me sad.

Blogger Sara said...

Glad the kitties are on the mend. Wouldn't it be so much easier if they could just tell you what was wrong?

Blogger Sarah Smile said...

Yikes. Poor babies!
Give 'em a cuddle for me and remind me to post about Dulce's shower yesterday.

Blogger Green and Gray said...

see, I could be mean and make comments about how you're on your way to being the crazy cat lady already.. but you're my sister.. and I love you.. so I won't.

*smirk*

I'll just remind you I love you and tell you how pretty your kitties are.

Blogger Uccellina said...

Oh, poor woogums.

Blogger xt said...

Cat drama is the worst. I'm so sorry you're all going through this.

My little Indiana-kitty had the kitty-shits for like a year (turned out she was allergic to fleas, and whenever she would get a flea bite, her whole body would turn into a huge bug-bite, intestines included). I ended up having to MAKE her food at home, from scratch. It all worked out, though, and now she is a feisty 15.

I hope all of you are feeling better soon. *kitty kisses*

Blogger Auntie Sassy said...

I hope they are feeling better sweetie! You are such a good mama. And maybe yammie will remember that once he feels better and be more inclined to snuggle.

Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Man, it must be weird cat behavior season. My Bucket seems to have adopted the front hallway as his overnight litter box. Maybe it's just something in the air - you have no explanation for Julius' fever? And none for LN's squirts? Strange days, indeed.

Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Of course, if Bucket ever curled up in my lap, I'd be looking out for the four horsemen. . .

Blogger Moe said...

Oooh, I hope poopy Yammie will be ok, along with the rashy Pickles! Sick animals are awful because they can't talk and tell you what's wrong. Not looking forward to pre-verbal children someday for that reason. Give them both snorgles for me.

The Sophie pulled all the hair out of her forearm tonight at supper (down to the raw red skin) because she perceived our animated discussion as an argument (I think we were both bitching about work). Sigh.

Anonymous Cj said...

I found something that will surely make you smile. Or at least ask yourself "what the hell??".

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hairy-Mohair-Willy-Warmer_W0QQitemZ160032026692QQihZ006QQcategoryZ11506QQcmdZViewItem


It isn't just this one item. No, she didn't stop here. She made many items that are all kinds of wrong. So, enjoy.

Blogger Monkey said...

and it was a pigpile of kitty lovin. apart from the possible death in progress, i rather enjoyed it.

It's gems like these that make me love you. Though I was on the edge of my seat, praying for Yammie to be OK, I still chortled. Oh the shame.

Blogger Sarah Smile said...

Nick is sooooo getting a dusky rose mohair willy warmer for christmas this year.
Don't tell.

Blogger Ćœbermilf said...

Poor sickies.

I want to fling poo.

Blogger Green and Gray said...

You should go read my blog.

Blogger Quirkalot said...

I hope Tangerine and Whitey turn out okay. Good luck with Girken! Poor Miss Kendra. Worrying about the little lovables can be so draining, and I really want to know how it turns out.

Oh, and you can add me. I would really like it.

Love and dried fruit!

Blogger Spinning Girl said...

there's no love like kitty love.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww.... i hope your yammie and nimoy are feeling better! i hate when my baby muffin heads are sick.

also, diarrhea is rather stinky.

Blogger me said...

kendra...

i... i feel your pain...

napoleon... he... he fell from a seven story apartment window...

i don't know if he's going to make it... i don't know... um... he might not....

and his hip is displaced... and... and ... i'm in montreal and he's in toronto and the vets are fucking me from this far...

and...

i'm going to bawl now....

Blogger Monkey said...

Miss Kendra, my dear... I made something just for you on my blaaahg.

Post a Comment

<< Home

golden state