October 17, 2005
wanna come visit? no? shocking.

before i get into this other crap, i know you're all dying to know, imagining me saying something outrageous (something like "dyn-o-mite!" no... that doesn't work at all.), something all piss and vinegary. hmmm. maybe some phrases don't benefit from the addition of the -y. and maybe not!

anyway, the thing is that i really didn't say anything that bad (i thought.) i try my bestest to curb the *$#%@&* words here at work, and i understand that not everyone is as "irreverent" (read: doesn't give a shit) as me. so i generally watch my mouth. you should watch it too... it's pretty.

but maybe it was something brought about by a generational gap, where in my generation feels it's ok to joke about certain painful events, (in fact, we encourage it! we have pain! let's laugh at one another and pretend it goes away!) but maybe an older group of people (not old, just older) thinks some things are Just. Not. Funny.

so ok. maybe it was inappropriate to mumble some stuff about starting a revolution and conscientious objectors. i get it. vietnam jokes don't fly here. does that mean i shouldn't compare fighting for the copier to iwo jima? because it's so like me and other immature writers to dramatize things for effect. just saying.

and now, the other crap.

remember how i got so fucking upset when we moved here about the motherfucking church bells? that go all crazy jubilant every motherfucking hour? i'm over it. now i am FAR more concerned about the drumming, the motherfucking drumming, all the motherfucking time.

and then i look out my window and see this.




and that's not even the best part. i regret to inform you that i did not get there in time to take pictures of the really big feathered headdresses as they drummed their way down the street. a major street. all weekend long. fortunately, google has rescued us, and i can give you a frighteningly accurate depiction of what they looked like.
but with more color. and drums.


no, really more like this guy.

who dresses like that in downtown la? well, *me* now. i know a good bandwagon to jump on when i see one.

besides, that outfit will totally distract from the horror that is my leg. for those of you who do not want to see my incredibly sexy hawaiian islands (not a euphamism), please skip this link and go directly to the second one.

my leg is falling off.

shiny happy people holding hands.

have a nice day.



17 Comments:

Blogger Bonanza JellyBean said...

I wonder where I can buy threads like those...

Blogger Tel said...

Growing up, we had Native American neighbors. On holidays, er, on any given day, my neighbors would get absolutely hammered, play their Native music (drumming and howling, mostly) and beat the hell out of each other.

I feel your pain, sister.

Blogger robiewankenobie said...

what kind of odd catholic sect is that?

oh, and you are *so* close to the "i can carefully pull off this scab all in one piece" stage.

Blogger miss kendra said...

part of me wants to say, "eeew, robiewankenobie! you're so gross."

but the honest part of me says, "dude. i already tried."

Blogger Sarah Smile said...

Dude, do you think if I made myself a feathered headdress and brought my tamborine, they'd let me play too?

Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Baby, it aint the age, its the eternal horror of taking themselves too seriously. The things that I find hilarious horrifies my contemporaries (and I'm not *that* old!) Just tell 'em to buy a sense of humor and get over it. Hey, and after you take a shower (assuming you do), how in the world do you keep your fingers away from the scab?!?!?!

-D

Blogger Racheal said...

I got one of those scabs on my forehead when I was 12. I acquired it by chasing my dog with my hands in my pockets (and then I fell and cried alot). This all happened the day before school picture day.

Blogger Calzone said...

thanks for the picture..I'm so turned on right now.

Blogger crasspersonality said...

Shit. I can't believe I fell for it.

Blogger me said...

we have similar ones like that where i live...

they look like this

they're at every major social function (i.e. parades, government speeches) cuz they're a part of our "history"- the costumes are handmade, the hats have peacock feathers... they're cool but personally they scare me

Blogger me said...

o for fuck sakes. all that fuckin work and the link didnt even work.

go here if you'd like to see my annoying gombeys:

http://www.bermynet.com/Pictures/July-12-2005-Destination-Dockyard/slides/4.html

Blogger Libby said...

Wait. Is that how they require you to dress if you're Catholic in L.A.? You people down there...making things all fancy all the time...

But seriously, did I miss the post on how the Hawaiian Islands were transferred to your knee?

Blogger CommonWombat said...

It is my proud duty to inform you that today's "I made Wombat laugh out loud" award goes to Miss Kendra for the "Scabby Picture Prank." Congratulations.

As for the drummers... You live in LA. Isn't that just one more creepy float in the never-ending freak parade?

Blogger miss kendra said...

libby- the islands were formed by the eruption of terrifying volcanoes many years ago. that or i tried to iron in my lap. you pick.

wombat- i am so proud. really. now i'm sending big hairy men to hug you for me. because i know you like that.

Blogger Auntie Sassy said...

We used to have the drummers come to our school. It wasn't so bad actually. There is nothing like a bunch of scantily clad dudes to make a high school girl's day. Plus, they were drumming...and I was a groupie. *shrug*

I could have done without the feathers though.

Your owie makes me cry for you. :(

Silver Lining: At least you have an excuse not to wear pants.

Blogger AnonymousCoworker said...

Why must your posts blow mine out of the water? Why?

Blogger Quirkalot said...

that camera has nice resolution. I could see the crusty sides of the scabs and everything. sweet.

Post a Comment

<< Home

golden state